Saturday, May 19, 2012

Indulge in Swiss Chard and Quinoa

Our most recent order from Full Circle included Swiss chard... a leafy green that has a rather bitter flavor. With everything else already in the produce drawer, there really wasn't room for such a large item, so I decided to incorporate it into dinner. I was in a quinoa sort of mood (I like the delicate texture and the slightly nutty flavor), so I decided to wilt the chard like it was spinach and serve it over the quinoa. I was worried... I've tried a recipe online previously for chard and it didn't come out very well. I decided to just create my own recipe and keep my fingers crossed....

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
1 15 oz can vegetable broth
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, diced
1 bunch of swiss chard, stems removed, sliced (I roll the leaves up and sliced them)
Garlic infused olive oil
Lemon zest
Splash of lemon juice

Directions:
Bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat. Add desired amount of sea salt and pepper; reduce heat and cover, alowing to simmer for about 15 minutes, until broth is fully absorbed.

While the quinoa is simmering, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil. When the oil is heated, add the diced onions. Allow to saute until softened, then add the sliced swiss chard. Season with sea salt and pepper, and a splash of lemon juice. Allow the swiss chard to wilt, perhaps 3 minutes. You can saute a bit longer if desired.

Remove from heat. Serve the chard over the quinoa with some fresh lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment