Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Indulge in Gluten Free Oreos!

I love love love Oreos. Loved, I guess, is more appropriate since Oreos are made of wheat flour. I haven't found any gluten free cookie in stores that taste good, which is fine. Just means I have to bake some myself. But where to start??? Thank you Shauna, the Gluten Free Girl! She had a delightful gluten free oreo recipe on her blog. I tried it, and LOVED it! My daughter loved it! My husband, who says he hates chocolate, also loved the gluten free oreos. I made them for a little get together at a friend's house, and everyone loved the cookies, and couldn't even tell they were gluten free! So here is the recipe, but don't thank me, thank Shauna, the Gluten Free Girl, for this awesome recipe.


Gluten Free Oreos

Ingredients:

Cookies:
80 grams sweet rice flour (find it int he asian section of the store)
60 grams white rice flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
35 grams teff flour (I used Bob's Red Mill, it's a brown flour)
2 grams of xanthan gum
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hersheys)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of granulated sugar
140 grams of softened, unsalted butter
1 large egg

Filling:
1 stick of softened, unsalted butter
2 cups, give or take, sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp Vanilla extract


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flours and whisk.
3. Add remaining dry ingredients and combine well.
4. Using a mixer, slowly add butter, by a couple of tablespoons at a time, until well incorporated.
5. Add the egg and keep mixing until the dough comes together.
6. Take small amounts of dough out and form balls. It sound be smaller than a ping pong ball. Remember, these are oreos!
7. Flatten the balls on the parchment paper. Don't forget to flatten cause they will not spread! Remember to leave a couple inches inbetween each cookie.
8. Bake on the center rack for 5 mins, then turn the sheet around and bake another 5 mins or until slightly crisp on the edges. Pay attention those last few minutes!
9. Allow to cool completely!
10. While the cookies cool, whip the butter until creamy, then slowly add the sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
11. Pipe or spread some filling onto a cookie, then press a second cookie on top. I like a lot of frosting so I I snipped the end of a bag and piped all over the cookie.

The number of peos really depends on how big you make your balls. I made about 20. Shauna's recipe suggests 25 to 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment